The SSH is considered to be a highly protected protocol against various cryptographic attacks. Therefore the SFTP Server enables a secure way to transfer, access and interact with the files. The server comes with one of the most trusted Linux distributions – CentOS 8.2
This is a quick deployment and ready-to-run image.
Simple and rapid installation. Easy to maintain.
The guide on how to connect to Secure FTP Server on CentOS 8.2
To connect to the VM, you should generate a “Private Key” in advance. This can be done using the following instruction (by choosing the “file format:” option “.ppk” in point 3).
Guide – How To – Create and use Key Pair to connect to a VM
- Go to the SSH section in the left panel and then to Auth.
- In the “Auth” section, click “Browse” and specify the path to the .ppk file you received earlier.
- Go to the home page of “Session”, enter the IP address of the VM and click “Open”.
- In the opened console you will need to enter the login centos.
The examples of the basic ftp user management commands that can be entered after connecting in the PuTTY client:
The creation of the user:
Attention: The password has to be maximum of 8 characters. If you enter a password with more than 8 characters, it will be shortened. While entering a password in the FTP client, only the first 8 characters will be taken.
The changing of the password for an existing user:
sudo passwd username
The deletion of user:
The blocking of user account:
sudo usermod -L username
The unblocking of user account:
sudo usermod -U username
You can find a directory with users along the path /sftp/data/home/
The FTP server itself is protected and ssh access and shell access are prohibited for FTP users, but allowed for the superuser.
- To connect to ftp, it is recommended to use the “FileZilla Client” application(you can download it from the link: https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?platform=win64). When launched, the application looks like this:
- In the “Host” field enter: sftp://ipvm , where ipvm is the address of your machine in the personal account in Azure.
In the “Username” field enter the user’s login of the virtual machine.
In the “Password” type the user’s password of the virtual machine.
When the data is entered click on “Quickconnect”.