OpenVPN Server provides flexible VPN solutions to secure your data communications, whether it’s for Internet privacy, remote access for employees, securing IoT, or for networking Cloud data centers.
This is a quick deployment and ready-to-run image.
Simple and rapid installation. Easy to maintain.
The connection to OpenVPN server on Ubuntu 18.04.
- To connect to the VM, you should generate a “Private Key” in advance. This can be done using the following instruction (by choosing the “file format:” option “.ppk” in point 3)
Guide – How To – Create and use Key Pair to connect to a VM
- Download and run Putty.
- Go to the “SSH” section in the left panel and then to “Auth”.
- In the “Auth” section, click “Browse” and specify the path to the .ppk file you received earlier.
- Go to the home page of “Session”, enter the IP address of the VM and click “Open”.
- In the opened console you will need to enter the login ubuntu.
- Next, you should enter the following commands:
> sudo vpnusers
- To create a new user type “1” and press Enter.
- Write a user name and press Enter.
- The last line will tell you where the config file is available (exampleuser.ovpn in this case)
- Go to the directory with configuration files with the command:
- You need to copy the contents of this file. To do this, display the contents of the file on the screen with the following command::
> cat exampleuser.ovpn
Don’t forget to replace “exampleuser” with the username that was created in step 9.
- Copy the entire contents of the file by selecting it and pressing Ctrl + C.
- Open Notepad or any other text editor and paste the contents of the file into a blank document.
- Save the file with the extension .ovpn.
- Run OpenVPN GUI. If you don’t have OpenVPN installed you can download it here.
- Click on the “Show hidden icons” and right mouse button on the OpenVPN GUI.
- Go to the “Settings – Advanced” and in the “Configuration Files – Folder” specify the path to the file that you unpacked from the archive and click “OK”.
- Right-click on OpenVPN GUI again, point on the connection that appears, and click Connect.