Configuration and connection to hMail – Mail Server on Windows Server 2022 Base
For the VM to work, you need to open TCP ports 25, 110, 587, 465, 993, 9950 in the Security group in AWS Firefall.
Your virtual machine should have the static IP address, if you want to constantly change the domain settings (because if the address is dynamic, after the rebooting of the machine it’ll change to the static one).
The instruction how to change the Azure VM address to the static one https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/assign-static-public-ip-address-to-azure-vm/
After creating the machine, it’s possible to get the access to the web-panel either directly through the IP address or by adding to the domain MX records.
The instruction how to do that:
Google Domain – https://support.google.com/a/answer/6248174?hl=en
Namecheap – https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/dns-records-namecheap/
GoDaddy – https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-an-mx-record-324
(For your site, where you’ve bought the domain – please, google “youdomainSeller add mx records” or contact seller customer support)
Connecting to the VM
- To connect to the virtual machine, run the “Remote Desktop Connection” shortcut “Win + R”
In the window that appears, enter “mstsc” and click “OK”.
- In the window that appears, enter the IP of the virtual machine and click “Connect”.
- In the window that appears, enter your username and password and click “OK”.
- Check the box and click “Yes”.
Configure SFTP server
- You will find the shortcut of the app on the desktop. Click twice to run it
- Next click Connect
- Now you should enter the password “QdiRsmUwLh9!”, it is also located in the hmail password file on the desktop.
- Create a domain
- After saving it is necessary to create a mail account
- Click “Save”, after entering account data.
- Now you can connect to your account.
- There are additional functions in the advanced version of the hMail server, as opposed to the standard version, namely:
enabled message indexing
increased smtp message size
enabled disconnect client after too many invalid commands
You will find more detailed instructions how to work with hMail server on the developer’s website:
hMailServer documentation – hMailServer – Free open source email server for Microsoft Windows