Connection and configuration of MediaWiki – Wikipedia Server on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Creating DNS name through Azure Portal
- The first step is to create a DNS name that will be used for the further connection. You can specify your DNS name (for which an SSL certificate has been already purchased) and skip this step.
- To create a DNS name through Azure Portal, go to the VM settings in the “Overview” section.
- Go to “DNS name” settings
- Fill in the “DNS name label” field and click <Save> at the top.
Server connection and configuration through the PuTTY SSH client
- To connect to a VM, you need the PuTTy application to connect via ssh. You can download it at the following link – Download
- Run Putty, enter the VM address in the “Host” field, and click “Open” to connect.
- In the opened console you will need to enter a username and password that were specified when creating the virtual machine. The next window is displayed
- Enter the following command.
> sudo su domedit ‘yourDNSname’.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com
- Now you can go to your DNS name specified in the file when configuring via PuTTY. If an error occurs during the transition, try again in a couple of minutes.
Changing the DNS name
- If you made a mistake when entering the name enter the following command:
> sudo nano /var/www/html/mediawiki/LocalSettings.php
- Find the line $wgServer = (if you do not see it, make the puTTY application window larger)
- Indicate your DNS name or DNS previously created through the Azure PortaIn the in line media1.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com. In order to go to the desired line, use the arrows on the keyboard. To paste the copied text, use the right mouse button
- Press Ctrl + X on the keyboard to exit the file. Then, you will be asked to save the changes to the file – press Y on the keyboard to confirm, and then “Enter” to overwrite to the same file.
- Now you should restart the server. To do this, enter the following command > sudo systemctl restart apache2
Changing user password and language interface
To connect to the VM, you need to open TCP port 80 in the Azure firewall.
- First of all, you need to log in through the administrator account. To do this, click on “Log in” at the top right of the page.
- Use the “mediaadmin” login and the “adminmediawiki” password to authorize
- Now go to the settings by clicking “Preferences” in the upper right
- Change the “Language” field to your preferred language.
- Also on this page you can change the password for the account. To do this, click the “Change password” button
- Enter the new password in the “New password” and “Retype new password” fields. Then click on the “Change credentials” button to complete the password change.
Now you can use MediaWiki – Wikipedia Server on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS adapted for Azure.
Get more information – https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents
FAQ – Manual:FAQ – MediaWiki