Configuring and connecting to RustDesk on Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS
To start the server, run the VM through Azure Portal.
- For the connection to the server, you should know the IP address of the VM. You can find it in the personal account of Azure. (You need to select the virtual machine from the list. By clicking the item “Overview”, your IP is displayed in the line “Public IP Address”).
- To work, you must open ports 21115-21119 (TCP) and 21116 (UDP) in the network properties in the Azure firewall.
Getting the key
- To connect through your created server, you need to get a unique, generated key. To do this, connect to a VM:
- With the PuTTY application
To do this, you need the PuTTY application to connect via ssh. You can download it at the following link – Download
Run PuTTY, enter the VM address in the “Host” field (1) and click “Open” (2) to connect.
In the opened console, you will need to enter a username (1) and password (2) that were specified while the VM was being created (you’ll not see the password in the console while entering it).
- With OpenSSH
In the Windows 10 operating system (starting with version 1809), an OpenSSH client is available, with which you can connect to Linux servers via SSH. If Windows 10 is suitable and the OpenSSH client is installed, you can start connecting via SSH. To do this, launch a standard Windows command prompt and enter the command “ssh user@*vm_ip*” (1), where “user” is the username that was specified while creating the virtual machine and “*vm_ip*” is the VM IP address.
Then type “Yes” (2) and enter a password (3) that was specified while creating the virtual machine.
- To get the key, run the following command:
> sudo echo $(cat /opt/hbbs/id_ed25519.pub) (1)
and copy and save the key (2) in a convenient way for you
To establish a remote connection through your server, you must install the client part from RustDesk for your device OS. Also, you can get the client from Google Store and Apple Store for mobile devices.
After installing the client, you must establish a connection through your server. For example:
- for Windows client
- Click ‘ID/Relay Server’
- Enter your VM’s IP (1), the previously saved key (2) and click ‘OK’ (3)
- Then enter the remote user ID (1), select needed action (2)
- Enter the remote user password (3)
- You are connected (to the mobile device, for example)
- for Android client
- Tap “Settings ⇒ ID/Relay Server”
- Enter your VM’s IP (1), the previously saved key (2) and tap ‘OK’ (3)
- Then tap ‘Share Screen ⇒ Start Service’
- Set the required permissions (may vary depending on the device/Android version)
- To connect to the remote device go to the ‘Connection’ tab, enter the remote user ID (1) and tap the arrow (2)
- and enter the remote user password (3)
- You are connected
More information – Manual:: Documentation for RustDesk