Squid Proxy Server on Linux CentOS 7.9 is a modular, high-performance reverse and forward proxy server that is often compared to Nginx and Apache Traffic Server. In general, it is a caching proxy for the Web supporting HTTP and HTTPS. It also supports FTP, Gopher, SSL, and WAIS protocols.
This is a quick deployment and ready-to-run image.
Simple and rapid installation. Easy to maintain.
The guide how to work with the Squid Proxy Server on Debian 10
- Prior to using the proxy server, create a user via VM console
- To connect to the VM, you should generate a “Private Key” in advance. This can be done using the following instruction (by choosing the “file format:” option “.ppk” in point 3)
- Download and run Putty
- Go to the “SSH” section in the left panel and then to “Auth”.
- In the “Auth” section, click “Browse” and specify the path to the .ppk file you received earlier.
- Go to the home page of “Session”, enter the IP address of the VM and click “Open”.
- In the opened console you will need to enter the login admin
Now you can use the following commands to manage users:
sudo htpasswd /etc/squid/.squid_users newusername – create a new user.
sudo htpasswd /etc/squid/.squid_users existusername – change password for existing user
sudo htpasswd -D /etc/squid/.squid_users existusername – delete existing user
After running “delete” or “change password” command, you need to update squid configuration with the following command:
sudo squid -k reconfigure
- To use the proxy server through the built-in Windows tools, you must open the settings.
9. In the “Settings” select Network & Internet
- Go to the “Proxy” section and set the “Use a proxy server” switch to On.
- Enter the address of the VM in the Address field,, and in the Port field specify 3128. Then click the Save button.
- To check the connection to the proxy server, open the https://www.myip.com/ website in any browser and check if your IP address has changed.
- When you connect through the proxy server (for example, in the chrome browser), will be requested for login and password for access. There is already one test user on the server which you can use to connect:
Check out the following links for further documentation and support for Squid Proxy