Squid 3.5 Proxy Server for Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS is a full-featured web proxy cache server application which provides proxy and cache services for Hyper Text Transport Protocol (HTTP), File Transfer Protocol (FTP), and other popular network protocols.
This is a quick deployment and ready-to-run image.
Simple and rapid installation. Easy to maintain.
Connection to Squid Proxy Server on Ubuntu 18.04 Minimal using Windows settings
- Launch VM through your AWS account. When starting the VM proxy server starts automatically. Also, you should open ports 22 and 3128 (TCP)
To connect to the Server, you should generate a “Private Key” in advance. This can be done using the following instruction (by choosing the “file format:” option “.ppk” in point 3)
To work with the server, you should connect to it via PuTTY
- Download and run Putty
- Go to section SSH on the left panel, and then to Auth
- In the “Auth” section, click “Browse” and specify the path to the .ppk file you received earlier.
- Go to the home page of “Session”, enter the IP address of the VM and click “Open”.
- In the opened console you will need to enter the login ubuntu
Now you can use the following commands to manage users:
sudo htpasswd /etc/squid/.squid_users newusername – create a new user.
sudo htpasswd /etc/squid/.squid_users existusername – change password for existing user
sudo htpasswd -D /etc/squid/.squid_users existusername – delete existing user
After running the “delete” or “change password” command, you need to update the squid configuration with the following command:
sudo squid3 -k reconfigure
- To use the proxy server through the built-in Windows tools, you must open the settings.
- In “Settings” select 5
- Network & Internet.
- Go to the “Proxy” section and set the “Use a proxy server” switch to On.
- Enter the address of the VM in the Address field, and in the Port, field specify 3128. Then click the Save button.
- To check the connection to the proxy server, open the https://www.myip.com/ website in any browser and check if your IP address has changed.
- When you connect through the proxy server (for example, in the chrome browser), login and password will be requested for access. Enter the username and password of the user you created earlier.
Check out the following links for further documentation and support for Squid Proxy