Squad is a tactical FPS that provides authentic combat experiences through teamwork, communication, and gameplay. It seeks to bridge the large gap between arcade shooter and military simulation. Large scale, combined arms combat, base building.
This is a quick deployment and ready-to-run image.
Simple and rapid installation. Easy to maintain.
How to create and connect to Squad
- To start the server, you just need to start the VM through Azure Portal. The start of the server can take up to 5 minutes, wait until it’s fully configured and started.
- To configure the server, you should connect to the VM and call the game console. To connect, you need PuTTy application to connect via ssh. You can download it at the following link – Download.
- Run Putty, enter the VM address in the “Host” field, and click “Open” to connect.
- In the opened console it is necessary to enter a username and password that were specified while creating the virtual machine.
- Run the following commands, to open the game console:
> sudo su
> su steamuser
> screen -r
To exit the console correctly, use the Ctrl + A key combination, then releasing only the A button, press D on the keyboard.
- Launch “Steam” on your PC, to connect to the server, open the “View” tab, and find “Servers” there.
- Go to the “FAVORITES” tab and click “ADD A SERVER”. Enter % vm_ip%: 27165 in the opened field, and click on the “ADD THIS SERVER TO FAVORITES” button.
- Click LMB on the server and then “CONNECT” to connect. If an error occurs, press the “REFRESH” button and reconnect. Then the game with the “Finding game” window will open, it is not necessary to click anything, the connection will happen automatically.
If you were unable to connect to the server, you should update the server. To do this, connect to the VM through PuTTY and do the following:
- First of all, you must stop the server, you can do this using the following commands:
> sudo su (If you haven’t run this command before)
> systemctl stop squad
- Enter the following commands in sequence:
> login anonymous
> force_install_dir /home/steamuser/squad
> app_update 403240 validate
> cd /home/steamuser
> chown -R steamuser:steamuser squad
> systemctl start squad