Secured FTP ( SFTP ) Server on Amazon Linux 2 is the best solution to transfer files and data securely over encrypted network layers (using SSH2 protocol).
This is a quick deployment and ready-to-run image.
Simple and rapid installation. Easy to maintain.
The guide how to connect to Secured FTP ( SFTP ) Server on Amazon Linux 2
To connect to the VM, you should generate a “Private Key” in advance. This can be done using the following instruction (by choosing the “file format:” option “.ppk” in point 3)
- Go to the SSH section in the left panel and then to Auth.
- In the “Auth” section, click “Browse” and specify the path to the .ppk file you received earlier.
- To work, you must open the following ports:
- Go to the home page of “Session”, enter the IP address of the VM and click “Open”.
- In the opened console you will need to enter the login ec2-user
The examples of the basic ftp user management commands that can be entered after connecting in the PuTTY client:
- The creation of the user:
Attention: The password has to be maximum 8 characters. If you enter a password with more than 8 characters, it will be shortened. While entering a password in the ftp client, only the first 8 characters will be taken.
The changing of the password for an existing user:
sudo passwd username
The deletion of user:
The blocking of user account:
sudo usermod -L username
The unblocking of user account:
sudo usermod -U username
- You can find a directory with users along the path /sftp/data/home/username
Also, along /sftp/data/keys/username path there will be keys for connecting to the users. Copy them to the main system and add them to the FTP client.
The ftp server itself is protected and ssh access and shell access are prohibited for ftp users, but allowed for the superuser.
Client FTP Software
- To connect to ftp, it is recommended to use the “FileZilla Client” application (you can download it from the link: https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?platform=win64). When launched, the application looks like this:
2. Then, go to Edit > SettingsThen, go to Edit > Settings
3. Select Sftp tab and press <Add key file>
- Select .pem file that you have copied from /sftp/data/keys/username directory to the VM
- In the “Host” field enter : sftp://ipvm , where ipvm is the address of your machine in the personal account in Amazon
In the “Username”, enter the username you have created
In the “Password”, enter the password of the user you have created
When the data are entered click “Quickconnect”