Pritunl – Self-hosted VPN Server on Ubuntu 18.04 is the best open-source alternative to proprietary commercial VPN products. Create larger cloud VPN networks supporting thousands of concurrent users and get more control over your VPN server.
This is a quick deployment and ready-to-run image.
Simple and rapid installation. Easy to maintain.
The guide how to work with the Pritunl – Self-hosted VPN Server on Ubuntu 18.04
In case you have NSG’s or Firewall appliances in AWS Marketplace you’ll have to open access to the next ports: 22,443 (TCP) и 14724 (UDP)
In order to open the ports, go to the Virtual machine’s settings in AWS Marketplace – open Networking and add the necessary ports.
To connect to the Server, you should generate a “Private Key” in advance. This can be done using the following instruction (by choosing the “file format:” option “.ppk” in point 3)
To work with the server, you should connect to it via PuTTY.
- Download and run Putty
- Go to section SSH on the left panel, and then in Auth.
- In the “Auth” section, click “Browse” and specify the path to the .ppk file you received earlier.
- Go to the home page of “Session”, enter the IP address of the VM and click “Open”.
- In the opened console you will need to enter the login ubuntu
- Enter > sudo pritunl setup-key and copy the key.
- To access the admin panel, you need to enter in the address bar https://yourVM’sIP
- Now you need to accept the security certificate.
- Paste the previously copied “Setup Key” into the corresponding field. Leave the second field unchanged.
- Re-accept the certificate if you see the message again “Your connection is not private”.
- To find out the login and password, enter in the PuTTY’s terminal the command:
> sudo pritunl default-password
- Insert your username and password into the appropriate fields.
- Sign in to proceed to the Initial Setup screen. Enter the domain you have registered for your VPN site in the Lets Encrypt domain text field. If you want to change your password, you can enter a new password. You can also change your username here. Press Save to continue.
- Go to the Users tab. To connect to the VPN, you would need to create an organization and a user. Click on Add Organization first. Once you have created that, Add a user to that organization by clicking on Add User.
- It is time to create a server to which your users can connect. Go to the Servers tab and click on Add a Server.
Choose a name for your server. Select the Protocol UDP and the Port (In our case the Port is 14724. You can, of course, use whatever port you had added to your firewall.)
- The next step is to attach the server we just created to our Organization. Click Attach Organization to do that.
- To start the server, it remains only to click “Start Server”.
- To download the connection key, select the “Users” item and the button to download the profile.
- The downloaded archive must be unpacked on the PC where the connection will be made (OpenVPN must be installed on the PC)
If you don’t have OpenVPN installed you can download it here.
- Run OpenVPN GUI.
- Click on the “Show hidden icons” and right mouse button on the OpenVPN GUI.
- Go to the “Settings – Advanced” and in the “Configuration Files – Folder section” specify the path to the file that you unpacked from the archive and click “OK”.
- Right click on OpenVPN GUI again, hover over the connection that appears and click “Connect”.
Software is free
You pay for pre-configured VM and configuration.
If you do not agree with any condition – please do not use the product.