MediaWiki is an open-source wiki software and as all wikis it allows everyday users to create and edit webpage content in any browser without knowledge in CSS and HTML.
This is a quick deployment and ready-to-run image.
Simple and rapid installation. Easy to maintain.
Connection and configuration of MediaWiki – Wikipedia Server on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Creating DNS name through Azure Portal
- The first step is to create a DNS name that will be used for the further connection.
You can specify your DNS name (for which an SSL certificate has been already purchased) and skip this step.
- To create a DNS name through Azure Portal, go to the VM settings in the “Overview” section.
- Go to “DNS name” settings
- Fill in the “DNS name label” field and click <Save> at the top.
Server connection and configuration through the PuTTY SSH client
- To connect to a VM, you need the PuTTy application to connect via ssh. You can download it at the following link – Download
- Run Putty, enter the VM address in the “Host” field, and click “Open” to connect.
- In the opened console you will need to enter a username and password that were specified the when creating the virtual machine
- Enter the following command.
> sudo nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/mediawiki.conf
- Find the string ServerName
- Instead of the specified address, specify your DNS name or DNS previously created through the Azure Portal. In order to go to the desired line, use the arrows on the keyboard. To paste the copied text, use the right mouse button.
- Press Ctrl + X on the keyboard to exit the file. Then, you will be asked to save the changes to the file – press Y on the keyboard to confirm, and then Enter to overwrite to the same file.
- Now the same address must be specified in another file. To do this, enter the following command:
> sudo nano /var/www/html/mediawiki/LocalSettings.php
- Find the line $wgServer = (if you do not see it, make the puTTY application window larger)
- Indicate your DNS name or DNS previously created through the Azure PortaIn the in line media1.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com. In order to go to the desired line, use the arrows on the keyboard. To paste the copied text, use the right mouse button
- Press Ctrl + X on the keyboard to exit the file. Then, you will be asked to save the changes to the file – press Y on the keyboard to confirm, and then “Enter” to overwrite to the same file.
- Now you should to restart the server. To do this, enter the following command
> sudo systemctl restart apache2
- Now you can go to your DNS name specified in the file when configuring via PuTTY. If an error occurs during the transition, try again in a couple of minutes.
Changing user password and language interface
- First of all, you need to log in through the administrator account. To do this, click on “Log in” at the top right of the page.
- Use the “mediaadmin” login and the “adminmediawiki” password to authorize
- Now go to the settings by clicking “Preferences” in the upper right
- Change the “Language” field to your preferred language.
- Also on this page you can change the password for the account. To do this, click the “Change password” button
- Enter the new password in the “New password” and “Retype new password” fields. Then click on the “Change credentials” button to complete the password change.