GitLab – Team Collaboration Server for Ubuntu allows you to get a complete CI/CD toolchain in a single application. One interface. One conversation. One permission model. Thousands of features.
This is a quick deployment and ready-to-run image.
Simple and rapid installation. Easy to maintain.
Connection and configuration of GitLab
Creating DNS name through Azure Portal
- The first step is to create a DNS name that will be used for the further connection.
You can specify your DNS name (for which an SSL certificate has been already purchased) and skip this step.
- To create a DNS name through Azure Portal, go to the VM settings in the “Overview” section.
- Go to “DNS name” settings.
- Fill in the “DNS name label” field and click <Save> at the top.
Connect to a VM using PuTTy
- To connect to a VM, it is necessary to connect the PuTTy application via ssh. You can download it at the following link – Download
- Run Putty, enter the VM address in the “Host” field, and click “Open” to connect.
- In the opened console you should enter a username and password that were specified the when the VM have been creating.
- Enter the following command.
> sudo nano /etc/gitlab/gitlab.rb
- Find the line external_url (if you don’t see it, make the puTTY application window bigger)
- Instead of the specified address, specify your DNS name or previously created through the Azure Portal. To go to the desired line, use the arrows on the keyboard. To paste the copied text, use the right mouse button.
- Press Ctrl + X on the keyboard to exit the file. You will be prompted to save the changes to the file – press Y on the keyboard to confirm, and then Enter to overwrite to the same file.
- Now you should to restart the portal. To do this, enter the following command:
> sudo gitlab-ctl reconfigure
- Now you can go to your DNS name specified in the file when configuring via PuTTy. If an error occurs during the transition, try again in a couple of minutes.
- When you first go to the site, you will be prompted to create a password for the root account. Enter a password convenient for you.
- Now you can log in. To do this, enter “root” as a login and password that you specified in the previous step.
- Done, the main page opens, where you can manage your projects.