- After purchasing a virtual machine, find its IP address in the Azure personal account.
- To connect to Gitea, you should open the port 3000 TCP in the Azure network settings.
- You must create a DNS name. In the Azure admin, you need to go to the VM properties on the left the “Overview” section in it, on the right you need to configure the DNS name, the name will become, for example, “gitea123.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com”.
If you have your own DNS name, then you do not need to configure it.
- Open a browser on your PC and go to the DNS address http://domain_name:3000, where domain_name this is the address of your DNS name or DNS configured on Azure in the previous step (for example: http://gitea123.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com:3000)
Upon transition, the following page will be displayed:
- Next, you should make a one-time, primary server configuration.
To do this, click the “Sign In” button in the upper right corner.
On the page, select the following settings:
Database Type: SQLite3
In the Path setting that appears, use the default path: /var/lib/gitea/data/gitea.db
Site Title – enter any site name.
SSH Server Domain – replace localhost with your domain name ( for example: gitea123.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com)
Gitea Base URL – replace localhost with your domain name (for example http://gitea123.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com:3000/)
Leave the rest of the settings by default.
Click on the “Install Gitea” button at the bottom of the page to complete the configuration settings, then the “Sign in” page will open:
Then click on the “Register” button in the upper right.
The page address in the browser changes to:
Enter your preferred “Username” and your “Email Address”.
Create and verify “Password”.
- at least one special character (punctuation, brackets, quotation marks, etc.);
- at least one lowercase character;
- at least one uppercase character;
- at least one digit.
The first user will receive administrator rights on the portal.
More detailed instructions can be found at: