The guide how to use FTP Server on Ubuntu 21.04
To work, you must open port 20, 21, 60000-65535 (TCP) in the network properties in the AWS firewall.
- To work with the server, you should connect to it via PuTTY (Download PuTTY)
- Go to the home page of “Session”, enter the IP address of the VM
- Go to section SSH on the left panel, and then in Auth. In the “Auth” section, click “Browse” and specify the path to the .ppk file you received earlier.
- In the console that opens, you must enter the standard login that appears when creating a virtual machine – ubuntu
Or use the username you provided after creating the virtual machine.
- To create a new user, use the command
sudo useradd -m username
Where username is the name that the user comes up with
- To create a password, use the command
sudo passwd username
Where username is the ftp user created in the previous step
Important: When entering a password for security purpose, it will not be displayed, also password has to be a maximum of 8 characters. If you enter a password with more than 8 characters, it will be shortened. While entering a password in the ftp client, only the first 8 characters will be taken.
- Install “FileZilla Client” for further connection
You can download it from the link: Download FileZilla Client for Windows (64bit x86)
- Run “FileZilla Client”, enter the VM address, port 22 TCP, username and password that were specified when creating the virtual machine and click “Quickonnect”
- Welcome to the remote site