The guide how to use FTP Server Minimal on Linux CentOS 8.4
- To connect to the virtual machine you can use the PuTTY client (Download and run Putty)
- In the “Host Name (or IP address)” field you should enter the IP address of the virtual machine from the personal account in Azure. In the “Port” field enter the 22 value, select the “Connections type” – SSH and click on the “Open” button.
- The following window will be opened:
- In the window above you should enter the login and password of the user of the virtual machine. (while typing the password, the data isn’t displayed!)
- The creation of the user
To create a user, enter the command
sudo addsftpuser and press “Enter”
Next, you need to come up with your own “Username” and “Password”.
Attention: The password has to be a maximum of 8 characters. If you enter a password with more than 8 characters, it will be shortened. While entering a password in the ftp client, only the first 8 characters will be taken.
- To connect to ftp, it is recommended to use the “FileZilla Client” application.
You can download it from the link: https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?platform=win64
- In the “Host” field, enter the IP of your VM
In the “Username” and “Password” fields, enter the data that you entered when creating a new user (see paragraph 1)
In the “Port” field enter 22
And click “Quickconnect“
- The examples of the basic ftp user management commands that can be entered after connecting in the PuTTY client:
The changing of the password for an existing user:
> sudo passwd username
The deletion of user:
> sudo delsftpuser
The blocking of user account: (works only for password login)
> sudo usermod -L username
The unblocking of user account:(works only for password login)
> sudo usermod -U username