The guide how to use FTP Server Minimal on Debian 10
- After purchasing and starting the VM you should know its IP address. You can find it in the personal account of Azure. (You need to select the virtual machine from the list. By clicking the item “Overview”, your IP is displayed in the line of “Public IP Address”).
- To connect to a VM, you need the PuTTy application to connect via ssh. You can download it at the following link – Download
- Run Putty, enter the VM address in the “Host” field, and click “Open” to connect.
- In the opened console you should enter a username and password that were specified when creating the virtual machine (while entering the password is not displayed).
- The creation of the user:
> sudo addsftpuser
Attention: The password has to be a maximum of 8 characters. If you enter a password with more than 8 characters, it will be shortened. While entering a password in the ftp client, only the first 8 characters will be taken.
- To connect to ftp, it is recommended to use the “FileZilla Client” application(you can download it from the link: https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?platform=win64)
- In the Host field – Enter the ip of your VM. Username and password – which you specified when creating the user in step 5 Port – 22 . Then click – “Quickconnect”
The examples of the basic ftp user management commands that can be entered after connecting in the PuTTY client:
The changing of the password for an existing user:
> sudo passwd username
The deletion of user:
> sudo delsftpuser
The blocking of user account: (works only for password login)
> sudo usermod -L username
The unblocking of user account:(works only for password login)
> sudo usermod -U username