Firebird is a relational database management system that performs excellently and scales impressively, from an embedded, single-user model to enterprise-wide deployments. It can perform with multiple 2Tb+Gb databases running with hundreds of simultaneous clients.
This is a quick deployment and ready-to-run image.
Simple and rapid installation. Easy to maintain.
The connection to FireBird using DBeaver through SSH Tunnel
To connect to the database, you should generate a “Private Key” in advance. This can be done using the following instruction (by choosing the “file format:” option “.ppk” in point 3).
Retrieving a password from a database
- Download and run Putty
- Go to the “SSH” section in the left panel and then to “Auth”.
- In the “Auth” section, click “Browse” and specify the path to the .ppk file you received earlier.
- Go to the home page of “Session”, enter the IP address of the VM and click “Open”.
- In the opened console you will need to enter the login ubuntu.
- Next, you should find the password for the database in a specific file. To do this, enter two commands in turn:
> cd /opt/firebird
> sudo cat SYSDBA.password
- Now you should write down (copy) the password from the ISC_PASSWORD or ISC_PASSWD field (they are the same). It is necessary to connect to the database.
- Go to the page of downloading DBeaver – Download.
- Download the software distribution that is convenient for you, Windows 64 bit (installer) for example. (A newer version of DBeaver may be released. All actions will remain the same for the higher version.)
- Run the downloaded file and finish the installation process.
- Start the DBeaver.
- Go to Window and press Database Navigator
- Click on the button to establish the new connection.
- In the list that appeared find and select “Firebird”, then click the “Next” button.
- In the “Path” field specify the path to the database located on the VM. By default, The test Database will be created along the path: /opt/firebird/examples/empbuild/employee.fdb.
- In the “User Name” field enter the username sysdba and the password, which we received earlier, to connect to DB. The other fields in the tab leave with no changes. It is strongly recommended to change the password, after connecting to the database.
- Go to the “SSH” tab and tick the “Use SSH tunnel” checkbox.
- In the “Host/IP” field enter the address of the virtual machine (without spaces).
- In the “Username” field enter the username ubuntu.
- In the “Secret key” field click on the folder icon and add the ppk file you added earlier to PuTTY.
- Click “Finish” to save and establish the connection.
- While connecting, the window with the driver files installation may appear. Click “Download”, after that the connection to the database will be continued.