Connection to the Filezilla FTP Server for Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
NSG Rules / Firewall Rules Adjustments
In AWSr Firewall you’ll have to open access to the next ports:
- Port: 21 (Used for FTP)
- Port: 990 (Used for FTPS)
- Port: 14147 (Used for FTP Server Administration)
- Passive Port Range: 60000 – 65535 (Used when transferring data)
Start up Filezilla Server Instance
- Start up the Filezilla Server Instance application, with the shortcut on your desktop(1). Then start up the Administer Filezilla Server (2).
- In the pop up window click Connect to FileZilla FTP Server as displayed below
- And click OK (the password field is empty)
Passive Mode Settings
To set correct parameters open Server > Configure > Passive Mode
Check Use custom port range (1), enter the port range from 60000 (2) to 65535 (3) and select Use the default host for local connections (4).
Set up Local Users
- To set up local users and give them access to the directories locally on your server you need to select Server > Configure > Users. Here new users can be joined and their passwords created. Click Add and enter a new username.
- After that, provide the users with the access to the necessary local folders. There is no pre-configured folder on the VM, so it’s necessary to create a Directory which can be used (as example – FTP)
- The next step is to assign the user to the needed FTP directories. Set the local folders and designate the needed permissions:
- For security purposes, you can set a password to connect the user
- Enter your password and click OK
Also you can set up any amount of folders and users that you need as well. Moreover, you can set up the groups with the permissions according to their status.
Client FTP Software
Users can use any FTP Client to allow clients to connect. One of the best solutions is to choose FileZilla’s FTP Client.
- To connect to FileZilla’s FTP Client you should enter the IP of your VM in the <Host> field (1), the username (2), the password (3) and port number (4) to the corresponding fields as well.
- After starting the connection, a window with a certificate will appear, in it you must select the <Always trust certificate> item and click <
- After that, you will be connected to the FTP server.
This FTP Server solution was built with the help of the altered version of the FileZilla Server Opensource Software. This solution is allowed under the GPLv2 Licence. The original trademarks are owned by the relevant companies. Therefore, no warranty is included with this software.
Use it at your own risk, and if any damages appear resulting from the use of this software, they will be entirely on your own.