Configuration of DNS Server on Windows 2022 Base IaaS
For the VM to work, you need to open TCP/UDP ports 53 in the Security group in AWS Firefall.
- To connect to the virtual machine, run the “Remote Desktop Connection” shortcut “Win + R”
In the window that appears, enter “mstsc” and click “OK”.
- In the window that appears, enter the IP of the virtual machine and click “Connect”.
- In the window that appears, enter your username and password and click “OK”.
- Check the box and click “Yes”.
- To run DNS click ‘Start’ and run ‘DNS’ shortcut in the ‘Windows Administrative Tools’ folder.
Creating a new Forward Lookup Zone
- Right click on server and select “New Zone”.
- Click Next.
- Choose the primary zone. If your server is part of Active Directory, you can choose to “Store the zone in AD” (Optional)
- Click ‘Next’
- Provide the zone name and click Next.
- Choose “Create a new file with this ….” and click Next
- Choose “Do not allow dynamic updates” or “Allow only secure dynamic updates” if your environment is part of Active Directory
- Click Finish.
Adding Host Record in a Forward Lookup Zone
- Open the DNS manager console and right-click your forward lookup zone where you would like to create a host record.
- Click New Host (A or AAAA)
- Provide the name (and this will become FQDN in the form support.mydomain.com), and IP address
- Click ‘Add Host‘ and you are done.
Now you can work with completely clean DNS Server on Windows 2022 Base IaaS