The guide how to work with the DNS Server for Windows 2016 IaaS
1. After the VM is started, on the desktop you’ll see a shortcut, that you should run
2. Creating Forward Lookup Zone
Step 1. Open server manager dashboard.
Step 2. Click Tools -> DNS
Step 3. In DNS manager console, expand DNS server. Right-click Forward Lookup Zones.
Step 4. Click New Zone.
3. Click Next.
4. Choose primary zone. If your server is part of Active Directory, you can choose to “Store the zone in AD” (Optional).
5. Provide the zone name and click Next.
6. Choose “Create a new file with this ….” and click Next.
7. Choose “Do not allow dynamic updates” or “Allow only secure dynamic updates” if your environment is part of Active Directory
8. Click Finish.
Adding Host Record in a Forward Lookup Zone
1. Open DNS manager console and right-click your forward lookup zone where you would like to create a host record.
2. Click New Host (A or AAAA).
3. Provide the name (and this will become FQDN in the form support.mydomain.com), and IP address
4. Click ‘Add Host‘ and you are done.
DNS Firewall Ports
The following firewall ports will need to be open if there is a firewall appliance in between your DNS server and clients.
Incoming open ports:
Outgoing open ports:
To setup Azure firewall rules refer to – Azure Network Security Groups